Get in touch!

I'd love to hear feedback one way or another! Contact me at a4perry@student.bridgew.edu.

Tuesday, November 8, 2016

When it's okay to be selfish AF




I was talking to one of my girlfriends the other day and she was asking why it’s so frowned upon to be selfish. At first I figured the answer was obvious: we should be considerate of other peoples feelings. She said, "Well, I am already considerate of peoples feelings but how come I always have to do that if they aren't considerate back?" Touché. Why is it that we can't put aside other peoples feelings for our own? In fact why is it sometimes not even expected?! Let us take a closer look at the meaning of the word.
 


selfish; adjective
1.      (of a person, action, or motive) lacking consideration for others; concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure.


Essentially since we were in diapers we are coached to avoid being selfish and to acknowledge other people’s feelings. We are expected to help others save face and to even to put our feelings aside to spare someone else’s. Sure this ties in with the grand scheme of having manners but when is it okay to put ourselves first? Surely there must be a time for that! We can’t possibly be expected to push all of our inner desires and feelings aside all the time, are we? No need to bring it to that extreme Alicia, the adults never said that. Well I don’t remember the talk after the selfish discussion that drilled into our susceptible minds that sometimes being selfish is the only way to grow and move forward. Sometimes we have to be “concerned chiefly with one’s personal gain” and growth… what the hell is so wrong with that?  Below I have laid out some examples of when it is okay to be selfish AF.

 

Relationships:

When the relationship is fucking garbage. Here you probably are, running around messing with all of the strong, competent and amazing aspects of your personality to please someone else. That someone else just keeps taking and taking and taking; and you my friend… you keep giving and giving and giving. I have seen some of my smartest and most level headed girlfriends change everything from their hair color to what they do for fun to get closer to their significant other. It isn’t pretty. Here you two are, fighting like cats and dogs, and when the fighting is over? Well you’re still giving them 90% and they are cruising by with a maximum of 10% effort.

 Now I get it, everyone has their days and it is vital to pick someone up during those bad times but for goodness sake realize when you’re being used like a cheap doormat. Be selfish, pull yourself out of this shit show and be on your own for a while. Find yourself. Don’t worry about someone asking where you are when you’ll be back why you acted like that. We go through years of conditioning that tells us to protect other people’s feelings but when do we begin to protect our own?

 

Leaving your job:

           

This one hits home for me personally. I’ve really liked some of my jobs I’ve walked away from in the past, and really loved the people I worked with or for. It’s odd because you feel this insane feeling of deception. Whether you like it or not, your job/career is a huge part of your life. You spend about 40 hours a week there which is probably more time than you spend with your loved ones. When I left my restaurant job to pursue my first career move I felt like a double-dealing cheating sellout. They needed me (not really). They couldn’t function without me (they were just fine). They could never replace me (all of my coworkers took my good shifts like vultures). Anyways, I knew that no matter how painful it was to leave, I had to look toward my blossoming future. I’m actually on my second ‘adult’ job and leaving my first ‘adult’ job was just as painful. But if you don’t take your destiny by the hair who will?

 

Mental and physical health:

 

            Do any of you guys have friends in your lives who seem to always be pressuring you? Because I swear to God I have been cursed with friends whom I love, but these same people talk me into anything and everything I don’t want to do. Just drank and puked in a bush 4 hours ago? Let’s get mimosas! Just got over a cold? Let’s go ice skating! No money? Let’s get our nails done! Going with the flow isn’t always the best option (although many would say I’m not exactly the ‘going with the flow’ type) sometimes you have to realize when you are mentally and physically drained. Say no. Be selfish. Lay in bed. TAKE A NAP. Tell your friend to take a hike. Ignore all responsibilities and binge watch Netflix for 3 days straight. No actually- don’t do that. Sorry I’m getting carried away here.


 


This list of when it is okay to be selfish could probably go on forever. I could write and write and write and push these ideas into your head. The bottom line is sometimes we exert so much energy into other people. Too much energy into other people. It’s not only harmful to you but to your personal evolution. I’m 24 and I am just now learning when to put myself first. I am just now learning when to love myself, pamper myself and do things for just myself. I’ve never been this happy and that’s the honest to God truth. So although it’s important to be selfless sometimes- don’t forget it’s okay to be selfish sometimes too.

No comments:

Post a Comment